Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I'm not supermom

Yep, that's right, I'm not supermom. And a year and a half ago it would have pained me to say that. When Avery first came I wanted to do do everything on my own. I mean, that's what is supposed to happen, right? Wrong. Ever heard the phrase "it takes a village"? There's a reason that nearly every other culture in the world values the involvement of family and friends in the raising of children...because it works. I am blessed more than most with the "village" I have be given. From my parents, to Nate's parents, to siblings, aunts & uncles, cousins and friends. Avery is the most loved kid I know. I expect all of these people to be teachers, disciplinarians, confidants and caregivers. By loving her they have chosen a partial responsibility for her. Aside from having tons of people around who love her, I benefit by have people to teach me how to be a mom. I mean, how else am I supposed to learn? They show me different parenting styles, and from that, Nate and I can form our own individual way to train up our children.

Another benefit of having a "village" is knowing that I don't have to do it all myself. If I'm exhausted and Avery is being especially trying, I can call my mom and she'll give me a much needed break. When Nate and I are in desperate need of a date night, my cousin is always up for baby-sitting. These things keep me recharged as a mom and allow me to be better for Avery.

I look forward to being part of other people's villages. To share my limited knowledge and offer some relief. Remember, we're not meant to be supermoms.

No comments: